Sunday, February 28, 2010

she did it - she finally said it...

Mama! I'm so happy. I've been waiting, for a while now. One simple word that sounds so good.

Anna's slow grasp of talking has always been my one big concern. My nephew, Jackson, is 9 days older than Anna and has been talking for a long time. My BFF's, Tara, kids are major early talkers. Anna has always been able to understand what we're telling her. She is incredibly curious. I've been worried and confused about her slow progress to say intelligible words. We read, talk, and question, and read, talk, and question some more with her. I don't use baby words; baby words bug me. She understands what we say. She can communicate her wants and needs.

I sometimes think it's because she was born a month early. I sometimes think it's just who she is - she progresses at her own rate just like every other kid. I sometimes think there's something wrong with her hearing which is what makes it hard for her to say the words. I sometimes think it's no big deal bc she's still on track for the pediatrician's milestones.

I don't want her to struggle with school. I really don't care if she's in the "high" group. I was never in the "high" group, and I turned out just fine. B didn't even have a "high" group at his school - it was too small, and he turned out just fine. I don't want to compare her to others since she's her own person with her own strengths and weaknesses. I just don't want something to be wrong and we're missing it, putting her at a disadvantage.

Here are some of her commonly used words:

  • Mama :)
  • Dada :)
  • No!
  • uh-oh
  • Shelby (elby)
  • Santa (she likes the Polar Express)
  • dog
  • bone
  • ball
  • duck
  • various animal noises
  • hi

I thought of a few more:

  • out
  • up
  • one (sometimes two)
  • whoa
  • yuck noise

Words have power. She'll like them once she understands their power. Just look how I melt when she says Mama.

I am thankful for:

1. Anna saying "mama"

2. delicious blueberry muffins for breakfast

3. my mom got back from her vacation safely

No comments:

Post a Comment