Monday, February 1, 2010

I wish she was ready for potty training.

So I got to daycare and Anna was lying calmly on the changing table getting her diaper changed. I was in shock - it's been so long since she's done that for me. Her teachers told me she is good for them during diaper changes, but it was still something to see for myself.

Here's a typical diaper change at our house:
  • we go in her bedroom after she acknowledges she has a poopy diaper
  • I put her on the floor on a changing pad - no I can't put her on the changing table because baby with no fear will turn and kick herself off in a matter of seconds
  • I get her undressed with lots of screaming (Anna's screaming)
  • I get her diaper off when she then proceeds to try to flip, kick, get up and run - really any movement that makes cleaning her bottom difficult
  • I put the diaper under her, and try to hold her down without hurting her, while she's kicking, screaming, and crying (because, yes, diapers are so horrible)
  • I finally get the diaper on.
  • I comfort her, because that's what she usually needs after a tantrum (I read that that is a good thing to do with the children that need it?)
  • She gets dressed and goes on with her day - leaving me exhausted

Why does she do it?

  • she's fiercely independent
  • she likes to play games and get me going
  • ?????

What I've tried (one at a time, or some combo):

  • sticker rewards
  • food rewards
  • coins for her piggy bank rewards
  • eye-to-eye talking
  • calm rational talking
  • firm tones
  • yelling and screaming
  • rewards work better, but not great

Why I haven't potty trained her yet?

  • she doesn't have a word to tell me she has to go
  • she doesn't have a big discomfort with a dirty diaper
  • she doesn't quite get it when she has gone while she happened to be sitting on her potty
  • daycare doesn't really start potty training until she's 2 or older
  • I don't think her bladder is controlled enough yet

I hope I can get her trained this summer, but I know Anna, when she's ready she'll be ready, and not a moment sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment