I've known this, and I will have it reaffirmed every summer: being a stay-at-home-mom is hard work. It takes things from you that you aren't sure you have. It leaves you wondering what your life was like pre kid and marriage.
The only thing I ever wanted to be was a mom. I didn't know what kind of job I wanted (except in 1st grade I wanted to be a cashier at McDonald's - because that's a classy job). I didn't know where I wanted to go to college. I didn't know where I wanted to live. I knew I wanted to be happily married with a few babies, and that's all. I am glad that I always kept that "happily married" in my sights because my life is pretty great. I just like to complain.
I was watching a taped Oprah where Julia Roberts was talking about how her life is so wonderful. She has a husband she adores, twin 5 year-olds, and a 2.5 year-old. She was talking from this place that made it seem like they all lie around and share profound thoughts and watch butterflies in the garden for hours on end. It was hard for me to understand even though I have a husband that I adore (most days :)) and a 2 year-old that is full of joy and all the other things 2 year-olds are full of. Then I thought...she probably has someone clean her house, make her low fat and great tasting meals, go to the grocery store, do her laundry, and all those other things that are no fun but have to get done. She has time to enjoy the butterflies. Plus her 2.5 year-old probably can't put up a fight like mine.
I thought I need a little of that - whatever it is that Julia Roberts has. What do I have to complain about (a lot, apparently). I get to spend time getting to know my baby in a way that I don't always get during the year. We read the same stories over and over and over and, well you get it, but I've noticed she's starting to say some of the words of the text when I say them! This was remarkable to me. Yes I'm trapped at home because going to the store is not really so fun, but I've bought some activities. Anna loves play-doh with cookie cutters, markers, and we haven't even opened the finger paints or puppets yet. Think of the messy fun to come!
What I'm saying is...yes, it's hard to be home but not really have the ability to make my own choices. Yes, it's hard to have to be right next to someone just to watch while thinking about the book I want to be reading or the cleaning that has to be done. Yes, limited adult interaction can be disappointing. BUT...I get to watch my baby grow and learn. I get to sleep in and be well rested for a day full of kid fun (Who wants to clean anyway?). I get to meet with friends for lunch or dinner to catch up on the excitement (or lack there) of summer.
To all the mommies out there...you're great, you're awesome, you're doing a terrific job, and it all matters.
Monday, June 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment