


When asked the question: "How many brothers and sisters do you have?" I always hesitate before answering. It's not a cut and dry "two sisters and one brother." Yes, I do have two sisters and one brother, but we are far from the typical - oldest isn't decided by years, but rather days, we look nothing alike, and our talents and personalities vary greatly. There are four of us, and none of us share the same two parents. Growing up I sometimes had the best of two worlds: an only child to my mom, and a sister and brother to grow up and play with at my dad's (sister number two came along when I was in college). Long story short and drama free...my mom and dad got married, had me. Mom and dad divorced when I was around 3 or 4. Dad marries step-mom 1 who has daughter from her previous marriage, Jen. Dad and step-mom 1 have baby, Scott. Dad and step-mom 1 divorce. Dad marries step-mom 2 who has a daughter from her previous marriage, Sydney. Did you get that?
I'm 26 days older than Jen - and I take my claim as oldest whenever I get the chance! She's blond with blue eyes, athletic, has some kind of freaky ability to excel in school work without ever actually doing the work from what I could tell, and is kind of intense. We're mostly opposite, but used to tell people that we were twins when we were little. Although we aren't related by blood, we seem to have followed a similar pattern to other sisters: playmates, someone to scream at and fight with, and finally friends. We got engaged at the same time, had our babies 10 days apart, and have more health problems than two conscious-about- health people should have; maybe we're not so far from twins after all. I love her and don't tell her often enough - I think because she's not warm and fuzzy, or maybe because it makes me feel uncomfortable. She knows though, just like I know she loves me but doesn't say it.
I was seven, going on eight, when my brother was born. He turned 21 on the 12th, a birthday he shares with Abraham Lincoln, Charles Darwin, and 2 of his cousins. I liked being his older sister and "taking care" of him when we were little. I made him comfty beds on the couch, grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch, and his birthday cupcakes for school. I taught him to love The Breakfast Club (long before he should have been listening to that kind of language), Grease, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. When he's in the mood to talk we can have good conversations about nothing in particular. Other than I ask too many questions, I have no idea what he thinks of me. Scott is this weird mix between Jen and me (her mom, my dad), so I often "get" him - his humor, his excitement to learn pointless things, his cautious approach to life, but he is a boy so the inner workings of his mind are not for the world to know. He's in Las Vegas celebrating his birthday with our Dad where I'm sure he's letting everyone know how great he thinks he is, but I remember the goofy kid playing Mario or setting booby traps while wearing only his underwear.
My youngest sister is the one I've gotten to know only from weekends and holidays at home and vacations in Michigan. Sydney was four when I first met her. She is now 13, taller than me, and much cooler than I ever was. She keeps our family entertained with her bossiness and drama. We share the same color hair and eyes but have no blood relation. She spent time at our house a few weekends while Bryan was out-of-town; she was great company. We both love to bake, draw, gossip, play MASH, shop, and watch movies. I continue to look forward to the entertainment she provides.
I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have a "normal" family, but wouldn't want to give up the not-so-normal one I have. We may not share the blood lines that typical families have, but we do share memories and love that all families should.
I'm 26 days older than Jen - and I take my claim as oldest whenever I get the chance! She's blond with blue eyes, athletic, has some kind of freaky ability to excel in school work without ever actually doing the work from what I could tell, and is kind of intense. We're mostly opposite, but used to tell people that we were twins when we were little. Although we aren't related by blood, we seem to have followed a similar pattern to other sisters: playmates, someone to scream at and fight with, and finally friends. We got engaged at the same time, had our babies 10 days apart, and have more health problems than two conscious-about- health people should have; maybe we're not so far from twins after all. I love her and don't tell her often enough - I think because she's not warm and fuzzy, or maybe because it makes me feel uncomfortable. She knows though, just like I know she loves me but doesn't say it.
I was seven, going on eight, when my brother was born. He turned 21 on the 12th, a birthday he shares with Abraham Lincoln, Charles Darwin, and 2 of his cousins. I liked being his older sister and "taking care" of him when we were little. I made him comfty beds on the couch, grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch, and his birthday cupcakes for school. I taught him to love The Breakfast Club (long before he should have been listening to that kind of language), Grease, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. When he's in the mood to talk we can have good conversations about nothing in particular. Other than I ask too many questions, I have no idea what he thinks of me. Scott is this weird mix between Jen and me (her mom, my dad), so I often "get" him - his humor, his excitement to learn pointless things, his cautious approach to life, but he is a boy so the inner workings of his mind are not for the world to know. He's in Las Vegas celebrating his birthday with our Dad where I'm sure he's letting everyone know how great he thinks he is, but I remember the goofy kid playing Mario or setting booby traps while wearing only his underwear.
My youngest sister is the one I've gotten to know only from weekends and holidays at home and vacations in Michigan. Sydney was four when I first met her. She is now 13, taller than me, and much cooler than I ever was. She keeps our family entertained with her bossiness and drama. We share the same color hair and eyes but have no blood relation. She spent time at our house a few weekends while Bryan was out-of-town; she was great company. We both love to bake, draw, gossip, play MASH, shop, and watch movies. I continue to look forward to the entertainment she provides.
I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have a "normal" family, but wouldn't want to give up the not-so-normal one I have. We may not share the blood lines that typical families have, but we do share memories and love that all families should.

No comments:
Post a Comment