It's been a really nice weekend. I think the (relatively) warm weather played a big part. We took a walk today! Shelby, our dog, gets really jipped (sp?) in the winter. I do not take walks in the freezing cold, so she doesn't either. Anna and I took a walk every nice day last summer, and then we took walks as a family in the fall. She's changed so much since then. Today, she was sitting up in her stroller, really checking out her surroundings. She was babbling - I guess giving us her thoughts on the exciting things she saw!
While we took a walk, and I did a ton of work for school, our dinner was cooking in the crockpot.
Bryan made chicken tacos using the recipe below. I made salsa too. The tacos topped with the salsa made a great dinner. We decided that next time, we would add some spice to the chicken - it had good flavor, but no spice.
This recipe comes from The Everything Tex-Mex Cookbook (p. 150) by Linda Larsen. I found it at Joseph-Beth.
Shredded Chicken for Tacos
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (we used frozen)
2 T. chili powder
1/2 t cumin (next time we will add more than this)
1/2 t dried oregano
1 t salt
1/8 t pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 c chicken broth
1. In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper and mix well. Rub this mixture into the chicken breasts and place in a crockpot along with the chopped onions. Pour chicken broth over all. Cover crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours, until chicken is completely cooked.
2. Remove chicken from crockpot, shred with forks, and return to crockpot. Mix well and use immediately or refrigerate or freeze for later use.
I got the salsa recipe from Annie's Eats - My Favorite Salsa Ever. The recipe made a ton of salsa - almost 4 cups, so it could be cut in half. It has a little spice, but not overwhelming. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all the salsa - bring it to work I guess.
We use Old El Paso 'Stand 'n Stuff' taco shells. Bryan won't eat any other type because the other ones fall over and the stuff falls out :(.
Well, if you decide to make the tacos, enjoy!
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sounds great! I'll have to try that salsa recipe soon. I have it saved to try too! Thanks for the recipe!
ReplyDelete