Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sensory Searcher?

I spoke with the SLP from Anna's original appointment today. She scored the sensory profile, and Anna has some "probable" and "definite" sensory issues that need to be further examined by an OT. The areas she is out of the normal zone:


  • vestibular processing: constant need for motion - swinging, running, jumping, climbing

  • multi sensory processing: when more than one sense is involved

  • sensory seeking: teachers, these are the kids that are always falling out of chairs, running their fingers along the wall, tapping their pencils, or like one of my students today - laying on the carpet bicycling his legs during science :) (among other annoying behaviors)

  • emotional reactions: with too little or too much sensory experiences

I would agree with all of these areas being trouble spots for her. I started a conversation with an OT today and will be scheduling a full OT evaluation. I feel lots of emotions right now. I feel relieved that their could be a reason for her behavior difficulties, but sad that their could be "something wrong with her." I know if she is labeled as having a sensory processing disorder, it just gives a name to many (not all) of the behaviors Bryan and I have been trying to keep under control, but it seems worse with a label. I don't know how an OT will help her, but I hope it's possible. I had a small breakdown today with a few special ed teachers; I think I have more breaking down to do.


I want her to be successful when she's in school. I want her to love school. I do not want her to constantly be getting in trouble, getting discouraged, and feeling bad about who she is because she has some obstacles she has to overcome that aren't classroom friendly. I am leaning towards sending her to Lexington Hearing and Speech for pre-school and wrap-around daycare. I still have to check it out in person, but she would be in a much smaller class, receive individual attention, would receive speech while she's there (2/30 minute sessions a week), and the teachers would be integrating what she's working on in speech during her day. It sounds just right - except for the 7:30 start time, which means we will have to make some adjustments to our schedule, but it will be worth it.


Plan for tonight...breathe.


I am thankful for:



  • warm sunny weather

  • answers

  • healthy food

No comments:

Post a Comment