Thursday, December 16, 2010

Spirited - revisited

Last year my mom gave me a book, Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide For Parents Whose Child is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic, and when I read the first few chapters last year, I wasn't convinced Anna was Spirited - I thought just Spunky. Well, I revisited the book this week, and am now convinced that Anna is a Spirited Child. She's normal, but like the title says, MORE. I've always wanted Anna to be who she is, the person she was put on this Earth to be; I just want to be able to handle her better.

This book is really helping me. It's helping me to see that Anna's not the only child that does these things that drive me crazy and then leave me thinking what is wrong with her? or what is wrong with me? There's nothing wrong with either of us. Anna may not be the calm collected child that makes easy transitions and accepts the word "NO", and that doesn't make her bad. She is a remarkable child with her own set of gifts that help her be energetic, sure of herself, intelligent, and perseverant.

One valuable lesson so far: understand her warning signs that show it's all too much and she's about to blow, then get her to a calming activity (running hands through water, bubbles, back rub, bath, time alone, dry beans in a bowl) before we all lose it. Eventually she will have to identify those feeling when she's having them so she can calm herself down before moving on. I also need to stay attuned to my warning signs that I'm about to lose it so I can get to a calm place, if only for a few minutes.

I also learned about introverted and extroverted children (people). Anna is an extrovert: she needs to talk to and be around other people to reenergize herself. That's why she talks so much and needs to be right in my space when we are home - she's reenergizing. It's a simple concept, but it taught me a lot. Bryan is an introvert (and also spirited); he reenergizes by being by himself - he has to think about things that happened for a while before he's ready to talk about it.

I feel good about this book. I feel better about my parenting skills. I feel great about my child.

Today I am thankful for:
  • a fun snow day with Anna
  • the book
  • it's not going to snow tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment