Friday, September 4, 2009

Good Reads

When I first moved to KY I had some random jobs while I was substitute teaching and going to grad school. One of those jobs was at the YMCA daycare which was babysitting while parents exercised. I met a few moms that were also new to KY as well as a girl I had talked to on the phone in Columbus. (Side note: I worked for MI Homes. She lived in one of the homes in the neighborhood where I worked. Her home needed repairs. I scheduled our construction supervisors to go to her house and fix things.) Anyway, we formed a book club with some of the moms' other friends.

This is where I was introduced to Jodi Picoult. We read My Sister's Keeper, and I sobbed. It remains one of my favorite books because of the way she wrote the story from different points of view with different fonts, but it all goes together seamlessly. I got on a Jodi Picoult kick - I would read anything she wrote that the library had available. The Pact was equally as good. Then like most things, I needed a little variety. I found other authors.

I go back to her now and again. We read 19 Minutes in book club; it was good, but not as good as the others. I've been reading a lot lately; easy and fun stuff. I read Nora Roberts' True Betrayals (good read), some Jane Green stuff (always good), and Jodi Picoult's Songs of the Humpback Whale. OMG it was so good. I hated that I had to go to bed so early every night (you know, so I could wake up at 5:30) because I wanted to keep reading. The characters are so real and the story-telling is UNBELIEVABLE. She writes it in a similar way to My Sister's Keeper from different points of view using different fonts. It has this whole mother-daughter thing going on, which I now see from both sides. Plus there's romance, mystery, heartbreak - I might read it again. IDK, I have to let the characters settle a little. I'll be checking out some more of her books in the coming weeks; who needs variety?

No comments:

Post a Comment