Monday, September 28, 2009

Spunky, not Spirited

My mom thinks it's hysterical that Anna can be a handful at times bc I was in the 10% of kids (just a random number) that never act out, never scream when things didn't go my way, and I've always been go-with-the-flow.
Well, she got me this book that a friend of hers recommended, Raising Your Spirited Child. After reading the first 3 chapters I learned some good information as a parent and as a teacher, but I think Anna falls into the more mild category of 'spunky' rather than 'spirited.' Not to say she doesn't have spirit, but she isn't quiet as particular as the 'spirited' child, which is probably a good thing. Most kids fall into the 'spunky' category. The third category = calm, which she's not.

She hasn't bit any kids at school in 3 days! Woo -hoo. I talked to the director today and gave her permission to speak to Anna in a loud, firm voice "no biting" if she bites again. That might deter her from biting after getting "yelled" (it's really not yelling) at - we'll see.

She's so much fun. I love her. We play, laugh, and dance together. We don't shop anymore. Here are the places I can't really take her anymore bc she's very curious and won't stay in the cart/seat or causes a huge scene:
  • Target
  • Kohl's
  • Old Navy
  • really - any fun shopping store
  • grocery store without B
  • restaurants that don't have food ready in 5 min or less

If I do take her to any of the above places I have to have snacks to last the entire trip, or I lose. Anna has humbled me; never again will I say, "Why won't that kid just sit down and listen? Those parents must not know how to talk to their child." So naive, Laur, so naive. "HAHAHA" says Anna, "Mom, I do what I want, and you've got hell to pay if you don't let me run around this store and check out what's behind all those racks of clothes and shelves of toys." I know she's just trying to figure the world out, see what things feel like; she's just indulging her senses and taking it all in - it's really kind of cute, but not very practical. She's so stinkin' cute that I love her even if I have to put all shopping and restaurant going aside; she's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment