Wednesday, July 22, 2009

new daycare

I took Anna to her new daycare today. I stayed with her since she won't actually start until August when I have to go back to work to get my room ready. I just wanted her to get a feel for the room, the teachers, and the other kids. She seemed to enjoy herself. Some of the girls gave her kisses (how cute is that?). She sat on one of the teacher's lap, and she played with toys. Oh, and they gave her a cereal bar because it was snack time. She got her hair pulled by one little girl, but she was tough - didn't even cry. She just had that look on her face, like "what the hell?" Maybe she'll remember that when she goes to pull my hair...probably not.

Her normal teacher is on vacation this week, so the assistant from her room and an assistant from another room were in there today. They were both really nice. She will be the youngest in the room (unless they move some kids around after school starts). I also realized while watching some of the kids, they can all be stinkers. I was worried after the past few weeks of her less-than-desirable behavior that she was going to cause trouble, but I think she'll be just fine.

I put her on her time out rug at home when she does something bad (biting, pinching, pulling my hair) more than once. I count to 10 and use my "teacher voice" and say something like "we use nice hands" or "no biting". They don't use time out until the 2 year old room, so they just get the verbal discipline, and maybe removal from the area. I hope she is a good girl while she's there.

I can also send a lunch in when I want, which might be often. Since I don't eat a lot of sugar, salt, highly processed foods, fried foods (ok, I like to eat french fries now and again), and other stuff in the "tastes good, but is bad for you column," I don't really like Anna eating those foods. She definitely won't be eating hot dogs and mac and cheese - gross. I'm sure she'll pitch a fit.

I'll take her again next week. She can get a little more comfortable and meet her teacher. I'm sure she'll cry the first day and maybe more, but then I'll put her in a high chair with her banana, and all will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment