Sunday, July 17, 2011

Favorite Warm Weather Meals

I don't know if everyone is like this, but I have specific foods for warm weather and another set of foods for cold weather. Some of that is because I have a grill available in the warm weather, and some of it is because hot comfort foods are great when it's cold and not so great when it's warm. Anna has swim lessons until 5:00, so we aren't getting home until 5:15 which is later than during the school year; these are my simple and easy meals for the summer:




1. Strawberry and Peach Yogurt Smoothies: I put about half a bag of frozen strawberries, a quarter of a bag of frozen peaches, and half a large vanilla yogurt container into the blender and mix until all the big chunks are broken up. Sometimes I add a little fruit juice too. This is the perfect dinner when it is really hot outside and real food sounds like too much because the frozen fruit is like little chunks of ice and is a perfect cool treat. We usually eat toast or something else easy with the smoothies.




2. Kabobs: I marinate cut up chicken breast in chipotle-lime marinade (if I was being good I would use Annie's Eats' marinade that is somewhere on this blog, but I am lazy and just use the store bought stuff). I cut red peppers and onions into big chunks, and then mix with olive oil and Mrs. Dash chipotle lime spice mix. I put the chicken on chicken only kabobs and alternate peppers and onions on the other kabobs, and then throw them on the grill until the chicken is cooked through. I serve with Uncle Ben's long grain brown rice. Don't forget to soak the kabob sticks in water overnight so they don't burn off in the grill.




3. Cheeseburgers: I use Laura's Lean Beef to make the patties, add a little salt and pepper, then throw them on the grill. We've been eating our burgers on 100% whole wheat thin sandwich buns (they have a real name, but I can't think of it now). We also like Alexia's french fries and sweet potato fries (again, if I was being good I would make my own fries, but I'm not).




4. Sweet Corn: Anna and I head to the little farmer's market near our house on Saturdays for sweet corn, cucumbers, and tomatoes. I bake our corn in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes. I leave the husks on during baking. It takes longer than boiling, but the corn tastes great and the husks pull off really easily. We usually eat the corn with chicken on the grill.




5. Bacon Sandwiches: I use the Oscar Meyer lower sodium bacon. I cook it in the oven at 400 for 10-12 minutes. This method still makes the house smell like bacon, but the air isn't filled with smoke and I don't have to stand over the burner getting splattered with grease (the pan does get very greasy though). I like my bacon crispy, but Bryan likes his rubbery, so I just cook some of it longer. I like to use my farmer's market tomatoes to make BLTs for Anna and me, but Bryan likes Turkey Bacon clubs.




Today I am thankful for:






  • Bryan fixed the computer




  • an easy trip to the store




  • Words With Friends on the iPad

2 comments:

  1. Where is the farmer's market you are talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We go to the one by the Marathon and the car dealerships on Richmond road. It's open on Saturdays at 9 and Tuesdays in the afternoon. It's not very big, but we've been getting some good things.

    ReplyDelete