Monday, August 2, 2010

Girl Bed

So last Friday Anna didn't want to take a nap. I went in to check on her after she had been screaming for me for a while. She then proceeded to climb on the top rail and flip completely over and onto the floor - landing on her back. It looked like it hurt. She cried for a few minutes, we cuddled, called daddy, and then she finally took a nap. I called my mom (nurse), and she told me to watch if she was walking funny or complaining of hurting. She did neither, so I assumed she was fine. But we decided to change her bed to a "big girl bed" aka "my girl bed."

Bryan took the front rail off and figured a way to attach the small rail to her crib. Gosh he's smart. I wasn't sure how this would go, but it's been a major success. The first couple times she did get out and open the door, but with the promise of a treat when she woke up, she finally stayed in bed. She's been doing great in her bed - I'm so proud of her.

I've also been working on my parenting. I needed a refresher. I wasn't happy with myself, so I got a bunch of books from the library and started reading The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Defiant Child: With No Pills, No Therapy, No Contest of Wills. That last part, No Contest of Wills, is what drew me to the book. It isn't anything new - hype up the positives and leave the screaming and spanking behind because they don't work. Bryan and I are making sure to jump up and down, clap, and sing Anna's praises every time she does something the first time we ask her to and when she gets her diaper and clothes changed without messing around and fighting us. I got a chart at the Dollar Store with the days of the week, and we give her a happy face when she makes us so proud. She beams. She glows. She is proud of herself and is repeating the good behavior over and over again. I'm feeling good about my parenting skills again. I feel much better about the way we are helping Anna make good choices.

Today I am thankful for:
  • getting into a routine
  • Anna staying in her girl bed
  • a dinner from my childhood: bbq chicken and corn on the cob

No comments:

Post a Comment