Saturday, August 20, 2011

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

That's the old saying, right? Well, that's how I feel right now. Anna and I had a great summer. She was making good choices, following directions, and making life relatively easy. Now - not so much.

The past several weeks have been very trying for all of us. Because I started back to work Anna has to get up at 6:20ish each morning and go to school all day everyday. Her daycare also moved to their new building. I'm hoping these are a few big changes that she's still adjusting to, and once she feels good with her new routine things will calm down a little. Another possible reason for her behavior - just a phase.

I get so embarrassed sometimes. She doesn't get what she wants and she's on the floor crying and wailing. I stay calm and remind her that she never gets what she wants when she acts like that. She will usually stop quickly, but the damage has already been done. Or she is running around, pulling on my arms, and acting wild and crazy - also embarrassing. Once she gets to this state, it's already too late; there's no turning back. I just have to survive it enough to get to the car where I drive home wondering what the hell is wrong with my kid and what I could have done differently. Why does everything have to be so difficult?

On the positive side, she did earn her trip to get ice cream by getting ready every morning (clothes changed, teeth brushed, and hair brushed) by the time her timer went off. She earned a sticker each morning for 2 work weeks for a total of 10 stickers. I'm really proud of her for this accomplishment. She was very motivated to earn stickers for her chart. We might work on something else for the next two weeks. We have two choices: 1) going into her classroom each morning without problems or 2) making it through the day without whining aka: being ok with "no". We'll have to decide this weekend what would be better to work on since both are important.

Today I am thankful for:


  1. a really sweet class

  2. a trip to the Farmer's Market (where we saw Will and Sarabeth)

  3. the promise of ice cream later today


No comments:

Post a Comment