Saturday, August 27, 2011

Mother May I...

Take one GIANT leap forward?
Why, Anna, yes you may!

What a difference a week makes. It's like a complete reversal of the previous week. I don't really know why - comfort with routine? a really beneficial OT session? just because that's how Anna rolls?

She started official preschool on Monday; it goes from 8:30-11:30 everyday with wrap around daycare the time before and after. She has a few friends from the summer session in her class as well as a few new friends. Her teacher is Mrs. Meaghann, and Anna seems to like her. They worked on the "little letter A, and the big letter A, /a/ /a/ /a/." It's so exciting to hear her talk about what she's learning. The class behavior system: each child has a pocket with 3 sticks, at the end of the day each child earns a sticker for each stick remaining in the pocket. As of Thursday, Anna had all 12 possible stickers. On Friday, she told me she did not make it to treasure box yet, so she must have missed a sticker or two, but I am SOOOOOOO proud of her for all her good choices.

We decided to let her earn stickers for 2 things this week: going into her classroom without any problems and following directions without fussing or having an attitude. She's been doing a great job earning her stickers this week. She has to earn 10 stickers to choose a reward (Orange Leaf, Chick Fil A, Monkey Joes). She responds well to this sort of reward system, so for now we will stick to it. If she's starting to have a hard time I can remind her that she's trying to earn stickers, and she usually changes her attitude.

A reminder for me: Just one day at a time.

Today I am thankful for:


  1. LHSC Carnival - Anna had a blast (and a good attitude)

  2. good conversation at the admissions booth of the carnival where I volunteered

  3. Farmer's Market tomatoes - I am in love with home grown tomatoes right now

No comments:

Post a Comment