Tuesday, June 14, 2011

another step

Tuesday...
Anna had her second speech lesson today, and it went really well. She's there for an hour (yes, an hour!) working hard. Like most things with Anna, she does better as time goes on; the evaluation was horrible, lesson 1 a little better, lesson 2 a little better still. I'm proud of all the hard work she does - even if it is for the piece of candy she receives at the end of the lesson! She's working on her ending "p" and "t" right now. She's even bringing it into conversation sometimes. She also had her first daycare class today after speech. I'm hoping that went well and she enjoyed making new friends. I still get a little sad when I think about how she won't be seeing her teachers and BFFs from Tots' anymore, but life goes on.

After speech I went to meet with the OT that did Anna's evaluation to hear what she had to say. She definitely thinks Anna has Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). This incorporates Anna's sensory seeking behaviors, constant movement, distractability, and play integration problems. This is why Anna doesn't have boundaries, and why we work so hard to keep her safe. Just yesterday I had to pull her out of the swimming pool several times during swim lessons when she wasn't sitting on the steps but rather trying to swim underwater without her teacher! These are the behaviors Bryan and I work so hard to help her control, and sometimes seem to fail miserably, but lately have been having more success.


Wednesday...


I quit typing yesterday because it's hard to find the words. I'm so confused. When I was speaking with the OT I had several feelings: 1) she understands; I'm not overreacting just because Anna is different from me and does things that make no sense to me, but also 2) Anna is not THAT extreme; her behavior and ability to make good choices has improved dramatically since last year at this time. I think about all the things she does (good and not-so-good) and keep going back and forth: yes, she probably does have SPD, and then no, she continues to mature and do better (in routine activities). I just don't know, so I'm going for a second opinion with an OT that hopefully can accommodate our 2-parents-working-schedule come fall since the place I've been going won't be able to go to her school or get her an after school appointment. I also ordered a few books on Amazon to read through that will hopefully shed a little light on SPD so I can make a better decision. It's hard labeling a kid, especially when it's your own. I want to provide her with all the opportunities she needs to be successful; I just want to be making the "right" decisions. Why didn't anyone ever tell me that parenting is hard? LOL


Today I am thankful for:


1. much needed rain


2. playing with Anna this morning. 3 is so much better than 2!!!!!


3. time

No comments:

Post a Comment