Thursday, November 11, 2010

GP

Whenever I get a card from my grandparents it is signed "Grandma and GP." Yes, GP even though I call him Grandpa. On this Veteran's Day I would like to take some time to celebrate the only veteran in my family, my GP.

Here are some things that make him great:
  • He loves chocolate candy and spice drops.
  • He drinks a martini every night at 5:00 - it's really just gin on the rocks with 2 huge olives.
  • He taught me funny things - like how to spell Mississippi in a way that makes no sense to anyone, but it's fun to say.
  • He has the neatest capital printing of anyone I know.
  • He knows Morse Code and taught it to my 5th grade class. He even gave us a code sheet with a secret clue at the bottom - something about our school if I recollect.
  • He was in the air force in WWII. He was in charge of the Morse Code on the airplanes. He was stationed in the South Pacific.
  • He used to make me a delicious breakfast of scrambled eggs, toast with butter, and The Best Chocolate Milk ever (it was very cold and very chocolaty, mmmmm).
  • His favorite meal is spaghetti with meatballs.
  • He quit smoking and lost a ton of weight in the 80s after heart problems - an inspiration to anyone with health problems that can be reduced with discipline and hard work.
  • He had a tough childhood (from what my mom figures), but still managed to be a loving, caring, and patient man.
  • He can fold shirts so they are flat, thin, and perfect.
  • He knows how many paces are in one of his walking miles.
  • He's a history buff.
  • He reads the end of books first to see if they are worth reading.
  • He and my grandma have been married for over 50 years!
  • He loves my cousins and me .

I wish he wasn't getting older. I wish I didn't have to watch him not be able to do the things he used to do with such ease. I wish I could still have coherent conversations with him. I guess it's just the way life goes, so I feel blessed that I got to spend so much quality time with a great man.

Happy Veteran's Day, GP!

Today I am thankful for:

  1. beautiful, warm, sunny days this week
  2. the people in our armed forces that protect our freedoms everyday
  3. Barbie Toothbrush that makes brushing fun - for Anna and me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment